COVID-19 Nonprofit Relief Grant Program
The City of Ham Lake Economic Development Authority will offer a non-profits relief grant program to support local non-profits impacted by COVID-19. Grants will not exceed $5,000 to cover eligible expenses incurred as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The City of Ham Lake reserves the right to make awards above $5,000. Therefore, non-profits are encouraged to apply with their entire need.
- Applicant must be locally owned, operated and domiciled in the State of Minnesota with a physical establishment in Ham Lake. If there is a parent organization/company or a second location outside of Ham Lake, only the entity located in Ham Lake can apply to receive a grant and grant funds issued must be used for the local organization’s expenditures.
- Applicant must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or 501(c)(19) veteran’s organization.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Applicant must be in good standing with the Minnesota Secretary of State and the Minnesota Department of Revenue as of January 1, 2020. If there is an issue pending with the Minnesota Secretary of State, Applicant may still apply for the grant, but will need to demonstrate the issue has been satisfactorily resolved in order to be eligible and receive grant funds.
- If required, Applicant must be licensed, in good standing.
- Applicant must be current on property taxes.
- Applicant must employ 150 or less employees as of January 1, 2020.
- Applicant must have been in operation at least 3 months prior to March 1, 2020.
- Ham Lake will not disqualify an applicant if there was an ownership change and the business remained in operation within 12 months prior to application.
- Applicant must disclose all federal, state, county, or local grant or loan applications for which applicant has applied, which has been received or remains pending at the time of application.
- Applicant must Certify in good faith that the “uncertainty of current conditions makes the grant request necessary to support ongoing operations.”
Example of Eligible Expenses
- Commercial lease or mortgage payments, except for government leases.
- Accounts payable (AP) if the AP is a COVID-19 related expense incurred since March 1, 2020.
- Payroll, unless the nonprofit received Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) funds or pandemic unemployment insurance (UI) to assist with payroll expenses incurred after March 1, 2020.
- Reopening costs or safety improvement costs expended since March 1, 2020 (i.e. outdoor seating, Plexiglas, cleaning products, re-staffing costs, etc.)
- Operating utilities or fees for those facilities interrupted or forced to shut down incurred after March 1, 2020.
The City of Ham Lake is launching an online application portal, apply here, where community organizations can apply for assistance during a 10 day application period starting August 27th at 9am and ending September 8th at 5pm. You will need the following documentation to complete the application:
- Articles of incorporation or other legal documentation with the official non-profit address
- Listing of expenses incurred between March 1, 2020 and November 15th, 2020.
- Budget narrative
- Proof of FTE via Form 941 for Q4 of 2019 or proof of payroll
Applications will be reviewed starting September 8th through September 15th with decision notifications going out September 18th.
Attend a Virtual Informational Session
We will be hosting and recording two information sessions via Zoom to cover the application and your additional questions, in detail. We highly recommend you sign up to attend or listen to at least one of the information sessions, but do not need to attend both. If you are unable to attend we will post the recording the following day.
- Informational Session #1: August 28th at 11AM [watch video]
- Informational Session #2: September 2nd at 9AM [watch video]
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of Ham Lake has compiled a list of frequently asked questions about the application process. Please click here to review them.
If you have further questions please contact Andrea Worcester by phone at 763-235-1668 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**The City will respond to questions within two business days. Please ensure all questions are submitted no later than September 3rd to guarantee a response before the closing of the application window.